Saturday, September 02, 2006

Joining in...

Hi all,

Guess it's my turn to introduce myself. My fiber "journey" has been long and drawn-out. It began with wanting to learn to knit. Really, passionately wanting to learn to knit. I bought a book. I tried to figure it out. I tried to find someone to teach me. No luck. I was awkward, all thumbs and would give up in frustration. Years passed. I would try every once in awhile with the same results. More years passed. Then we moved and landed across the street from a weaver. A really good weaver. She taught me to weave, which I really enjoy, but it still wasn't knitting. However, she did introduce me to yarn shops!

So I signed up for knitting lessons and lo and behold, learned to knit! I found out that there is a whole different way to knit (picking) which turned out to be much easier for me to figure out! Finally, I learned to knit. There I blissfully stayed for three years, thinking to myself "why would anyone want to learn to spin?" Seemed like a waste of time to me, after all, you could be KNITTING.

Then, this spring, I went to Shepherd's Harvest, a fiber festival held every Mother's Day (what a great way to spend Mother's Day!!) and much to my surprise came away with an intense desire to learn to spin. So I found someone to teach me and have been spinning for a few months now. Last Saturday I finally ordered my own wheel and it arrived yesterday! I bought a Kromski Minstrel and love it. I was up 'til 1:30 last night putting the first stain coat on it and I love it even more. Hopefully by Monday I'll be able to spin something on it.

These days I knit, weave, spin, and dye and love every minute of it. This is my first swap and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks to Christina and CJ for organizing it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home